This month’s featured recipe includes seasonable ingredients, higher protein than your typical muffin and heart-healthy ingredients. But don’t worry, it’s packed full of delicious flavors too!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Servings: 12 muffins
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons orange juice (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, flaxseed, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cottage cheese, milk, sugar, oil, orange peel and egg. Stir the wet mixture into the flour mixture just until the flour is moistened (the batter will be thick). Fold in the cranberries.
- Divide the dough evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 17 to 21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and set on a wire rack to cool.
- If you want to make a glaze (optional), stir together the powdered sugar and orange juice in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the warm muffins.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Total fat: 1 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 290 mg
Total fiber: 4 g
Protein: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Sugar: 9 g
Recipe adapted from health.clevelandclinic.org