Get Hygge This November
As November rolls in and the days grow shorter, the air colder, and the leaves fall to the ground, many of us find ourselves yearning for a sense of comfort and contentment. Fortunately, there’s a Danish concept that can help us embrace this cozy, comforting feeling during the darker, colder months – it’s called “hygge.”
Hygge (pronounced “hoo-gah”) is a Danish word that doesn’t have a direct translation in English, but it encompasses a feeling of warmth, coziness, and well-being. It’s about creating a comforting atmosphere and enjoying the simple pleasures of life, particularly during the fall and winter seasons.
Here are some key principles of hygge and how you can incorporate them into your life this November:
1. Warmth and Candlelight: In Denmark, lighting is a crucial aspect of hygge. Candles are a must, creating a warm and intimate ambiance. As the days get darker, consider lighting some candles in your home, snuggling up with a blanket, and enjoying the soft, flickering light. This can instantly make your surroundings feel cozier and more inviting.
2. Comfort Food: Hygge embraces comfort food, especially during the colder months. Think hearty stews, warm soups, and freshly baked goods. Cooking and sharing meals with loved ones can be a wonderful way to embrace this concept. Invite friends or family over for a cozy dinner, and savor the flavors and the company.
3. Cozy Atmosphere: Create a comfortable and inviting space at home. Soft blankets, plush cushions, and warm colors can transform your living area into a hygge-inspired sanctuary. It’s all about making your surroundings feel like a safe and comforting retreat.
4. Connection: Hygge emphasizes the importance of connecting with loved ones. Whether it’s gathering around the fireplace, playing board games, or simply having a heartfelt conversation, nurturing your relationships and spending quality time with others is an essential part of embracing hygge.
5. Mindfulness: Being present and mindful in the moment is a key element of hygge. Put away your screens and distractions, and truly immerse yourself in the activities you enjoy, whether that’s reading a good book, taking a leisurely walk in nature, or practicing meditation.
6. Gratitude: Hygge encourages us to appreciate the little things in life. Take a moment to reflect on the simple joys that surround you, like a hot cup of tea on a cold day, the sound of rain on the windowpane, or the feeling of a warm embrace from a loved one.
7. Embrace Nature: While the days are shorter, don’t miss the opportunity to connect with nature. A walk in the woods or a brisk hike can bring about a sense of serenity that complements the cozy indoor hygge experience.
Hygge is about creating an atmosphere of comfort, warmth, and togetherness. It’s a reminder to appreciate life’s simple pleasures and embrace the darker, colder months with open arms. So, as November approaches, take a page from the Danish playbook and infuse your life with a little extra hygge. Light those candles, cook a comforting meal, invite loved ones over, and savor the beauty of the season. In doing so, you’ll find the comfort and contentment you seek during this cozy time of year.
Source: Wiking, M. (2016). The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living. Penguin.