Enjoy a Delicious Italian-Inspired Soup This Month
Warm up this autumn with our October featured recipe – a hearty minestrone soup packed with high-fiber vegetables and legumes!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Serves: 16 servings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 1/3 cups onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery and leaves, chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots, fresh or frozen
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans
- Dash of hot sauce
- 11 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked pasta of choice
- Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add the garlic, onion and celery, and sauté for about five minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the pasta) and stir until the ingredients are well-mixed.
- Bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the uncooked pasta and simmer for about two to three minutes or until pasta is tender.
Recipe adapted from clevelandclinic.org