Celebrate National Homemade Pie Day With Us!
Aug. 1 is National Homemade Pie Day for the sheer fact that people downright love pie.
- According to a survey, 47% of adults associate the word ‘comforting’ with pie.
- More than 180 million pies are sold in U.S. stores each year.
- In 2015, someone spent $9,500 on a pie sold in Sydney, Australia – easily the most expensive pie in the world!
Savory Gluten-Free End-of-Summer Tomato Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 box (4.25 ounces) of gluten-free almond smokehouse crackers (such as Blue Diamond)
- (Optional) 8 ounces uncooked, thick-cut bacon
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Spray your baking dish or pie dish.
- Slice your tomatoes and onions thinly then cut each slice in half to form half circles.
- Place the full box of gluten-free crackers into a freezer bag, closing it. Using your hands, crumble the crackers into small bits. Set aside.
- In your dish, layer: crumbled crackers, small handful of shredded cheddar cheese, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, then cheddar cheese again – covering the layer this time.
- Sprinkle the top with black pepper to your liking.
- Repeat the layer if room allows. Most dishes will allow for two of the layers.
- In a bowl, whisk one egg. Then, pour the egg across the top of the pie, aiming to cover end-to-end with strips of the egg. It will sink down into the layers.
- (Optional) Lay the strips of bacon across the top of the pie until covered.
- Bake the pie for 45 minutes or up to an hour (until the bacon is thoroughly cooked and the cheese is golden).
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 18.4g
Total Carbohydrates: 15.9g