Taste-Test This Quick Bruschetta Turkey Burger Recipe!
As the summer sun ripens our garden tomatoes and they begin to burst with flavor, we have a fresh recipe you won’t want to miss! Read on to view the quick ingredients for this healthy, tasty combo!
For the Bruschetta:
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt and black pepper to taste
3 medium vine-ripe tomatoes (Bonus if they’re from your garden!)
2 small cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, chopped
3 ounces fresh part-skim mozzarella cheese, diced
For the Turkey Burgers:
1 1/4 pounds 93% lean ground turkey (or chicken)
1 small zucchini, grated (1 cup or 5 ounces)
1/4 cup seasoned whole-wheat breadcrumbs, or gluten-free crumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon red onion, minced
salt and black pepper
olive oil spray or cooking spray
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
4 cups baby spinach
- Combine the red onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Then add in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the garlic, fresh basil and additional salt and pepper; mixing well and then set the bowl aside.
- *Toss in the fresh mozzarella when you are ready to serve.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini in a paper towel.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ground turkey or ground turkey breast, shredded zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- Form the mix into five patties, about 5 ounces each, making them as flat as possible.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. (You can also grill or bake your turkey burgers, if desired.)
- When hot, lightly spray your skillet with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Add the turkey burgers to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook your burgers until browned on one side, about four minutes; then flip and cook them for another four minutes or until browned on that side.
- To serve your summer bruschetta turkey burgers, arrange three slices of fresh tomatoes on each plate; place one cup of baby spinach on top of the tomatoes in the center; then top it off with the burger and the bruschetta. (*Remember to toss in the fresh mozzarella now!) Serve alongside steamed broccoli and fresh watermelon – watermelon tends to pair nicely with the bruschetta flavors!
Adapted from skinnytaste.com