Spice Up Your Autumn with This Tasty Recipe
Celebrate the turn of the season with our new featured recipe that makes for a warming autumn dinner or as leftovers for a tasty weekday lunch.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 5 whole carrots, chopped
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- ½ cup orzo pasta (or gluten-free option)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 ½ cups no-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen broccoli, warmed to microwave instructions on bag then chopped to bite size
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste *Caution if adding more: It brings the heat!
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or more to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and chopped carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season your 1-inch chicken breast cubes with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet. Cook the chicken until golden on all sides – roughly 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and add the rice and orzo – toasting for 3 minutes.
- Then add the chicken stock, thyme, garlic powder, cayenne, and a dash of black pepper to the mix.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
- Once the rice is cooked, add in the broccoli pieces, lemon zest and cheddar cheese. Allow the broccoli to warm and the cheese to melt, roughly 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Spoon the mix into bowls and top with additional thyme, if desired. Enjoy!
Estimated Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 23.6g
Total Carbohydrates: 96.5g
Total Sugar: 5.7g
Recipe adapted from halfbakedharvest.com