We all know it’s easy to ditch a diet or not eat healthy in general while traveling for business or leisure. But you can maintain a healthy regimen during your travels by simply keeping healthy food choices on hand and planning ahead.
Here Are Some Ways to Eat Healthy While You’re on the Go:
- Stick to drinking water and unsweetened tea during your trip versus sugary drinks and alcoholic beverages. If you’re taking a flight, bring anempty, reusable water bottle you can fill in the terminal once you’re past TSA.
- Get to the airport earlier and have a healthy sit-down meal instead of waiting for in-flight meal options, which can be high in sodium.
- Pack your own meal if you don’t have time for a pre-flight meal, and stock up on fresh salads and vegetable packs that come with low-fat dips. Homemade sandwiches are also a great travel option.
- Bring dry foods that won’t easily leak or get smashed in your bag like nuts, protein bars and firm fruit, such as apples.
- Avoid fast-food restaurants and wherever you decide to eat, focus on meals that incorporate healthy components, like fresh vegetables and lean proteins.
- Stock your hotel room with bottled water, fresh fruit and healthy snacks. If the hotel offers a complimentary breakfast, choose something with high fiber and protein like whole grain toast with peanut butter, which will give you instant energy and keep you feeling full longer.
“How to Stay Healthy While Traveling,” SmarterTravel, huffingtonpost.com, Nov. 24, 2015.