Looking for a New Recipe to Enjoy? Check Out a Delicious Lightened-up Version of Shepherd’s Pie.
Read on for our featured recipe – a healthier version of traditional Shepherd’s Pie including lean beef and lots of veggies!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons light or fat-free sour cream
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped (or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped (or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, boil the potatoes until cooked and soft.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and add the chicken broth, sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Mash the ingredients together and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef over medium-high heat, breaking the meat up as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside the beef on a plate once it’s thoroughly cooked.
- In the skillet, add the oil, onion, celery, garlic and mushrooms and sauté on medium heat about six to eight minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the flour, frozen vegetables, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme and cooked meat and mix well. Simmer on low about eight to 10 minutes.
- Spread the meat on the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle it with paprika.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, then place under the broiler for one to two minutes until the potatoes turn golden.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let it cool for five minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from: skinnytaste.com/shepards-pie-lightened-up/