Looking for more meatless dinner options without spending hours in the kitchen? Try this simple yet hearty lentil-soup recipe.
Stovetop Lentil Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 2 cups lentils, green or brown, rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth, low sodium
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the garlic and onion, cook for two minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add the celery and carrots and cook for seven to 10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the lemon and salt.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a simmer. Place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice just before serving.
Adapted from: recipetineats.com