Did you know? There are more than 100 varieties of apples grown in the U.S.! Autumn is apple season in most states – so it should be easy to find some in your hometown.
Enjoy apples in some of these simple ways:
- Enhance chopped salads: Add crunch to your salad by including sliced apples along with spinach, pecans and feta cheese.
- Enjoy a sweet-apple dessert: Sauté sliced apples and sprinkle them with cinnamon.
- Add apples to sandwiches: Enjoy apple slices in a turkey and cheese sandwich or in a grilled cheese.
- Make apple chips: Preheat your oven to 200 F and add thinly sliced apples sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar to a baking sheet, and bake them for one hour. Flip the apple slices, sprinkle them with more cinnamon and sugar, and bake them for another hour or until desired crispness.
- Grill apples: Brush apple slices with melted butter and grill them for about five minutes on each side. Drizzle them with cinnamon and honey and enjoy!
- Make overnight apple oats: In a container, combine ½ cup oats, ½ cup skim milk, ½ cup chopped apples, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon honey. Place the container in the refrigerator while you slumber and simply eat them out of the jar in the morning.
- Enjoy nut butter with apple slices: Slice apples and top them with your favorite nut butter and raisins.
- Try roasting vegetables with apples: Evenly chop carrots, potatoes, onions and apples and drizzle the mixture with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle in your favorite spices, such a thyme and basil, and bake the mixture in a baking pan for 30 minutes at 425 F.
- Dip apples: Enjoy sliced apples dipped in yogurt or melted cheese.
- Make an apple smoothie: Blend together one apple, half a chopped banana, ½ cup of orange juice and a few ice cubes.
Simple Apple Crisp
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 tart apples, medium size
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375 F and coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice apples into equal-size parts and place them in a baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients until well-mixed. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm and top with whipped cream, if desired.