Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
½ cup carrot, diced
¼ cup onion, chopped
¼ cup celery, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
¼ cup butter, cubed
2 ½ cups potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups water
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups of 2% milk
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
2 cups cheddar (or pepper jack) cheese, shredded
2 cups fully cooked ham, cubed
1 cup frozen peas
- In a large pot, add the diced carrots, chopped onions and celery and the minced garlic with one to two cubes of butter for a quick sauté – roughly 2 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, water and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover, allowing the mixture to simmer until it is tender – roughly 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in another pan. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually add in the milk followed by the salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and heat until it has thickened – roughly 2 minutes.
- Add in the cheese and stir until it has melted.
- Add this mixture to the potato pot. Then, toss in the cubed ham and peas.
- Warm the soup until you are ready to serve.
Estimated Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 18.7g
Total Carbohydrates: 37.6g
Total Sugars: 10.7g
Recipe adapted from tasteofhome.com