Learn How to Make a Difference During COVID-19 and How It Can Benefit You!
Oct. 24 is Make a Difference Day. Did you know it’s the largest national day of community service? It was established to help encourage us to take one day a year to try to make a difference in the world and there’s no better time than now to do just that! Read on to learn how you can make a difference during the COVID-19 pandemic and how giving back, especially in this difficult time, can benefit you.
It’s easy to feel helpless in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, but you can still make a difference in many ways, both big and small. Here are those ways:
- Wash your hands often with plain soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Follow the four key steps of food safety: wash, separate, cook and chill.
- Wear a cloth mask or face covering when you are around others.
- Don’t buy personal protective equipment; save it for front-line workers.
- Avoid crowds and maintain a distance of six feet from others.
- Donate blood and plasma if you are healthy and feel well.
- Report fraudulent COVID-19 tests, vaccines and treatments.
- Volunteer virtually; check out allforgood.org for opportunities.
- Donate to a nonprofit of your choice or one(s) that needs help.
- Ask your employer about matching donations to a nonprofit.
- Donate to food banks and pantries to help them stock up.
- Volunteer at a food bank that needs help packing and sorting food.
- Deliver or pick up meals, groceries or prescriptions for vulnerable seniors.
- Become a medical volunteer or donate medical supplies and equipment.
- Check in on family, friends, neighbors – especially those who are alone.
No matter who you are or what your situation is, there is always something you can do to help others. In return, you will be helping yourself. Giving back can:
- Boost your mood
- Give you a sense of purpose
- Make you happier and healthier
- Help lower your own anxiety and stress
- Reinforce your community ties
- Remind you that we’re all working toward a common goal