Are You Showing Others That They Matter To You?
This month is an opportune time to simply tell others how much you care about them. Read on for unique ways for showing others they mean a lot to you!
The remarkable, unmatched feeling of being needed by others or simply being important to someone helps us build our self-confidence, fortifies our overall happiness and leads us to understand just how we fit into ‘the bigger picture’ – defining meaning to our lives.
Here are several ways you can return the favor and show others that they are important to you:
- Focus on the positives. Consider and share something good about them.
- Give. Think of a non-celebratory reason to give someone a thoughtful gift. It could also be the gift of time or listening.
- Say thank you. Create the habit of telling someone specifically what it is you appreciate about them in the moment. Being deliberate and precise shows you are paying attention and truly value their companionship.
- Hug. A simple embrace can be all a person needs to feel like they’re appreciated and can even help them heal. Plus, hugging creates a sense of safety and connection that is vital at all stages of life.
- Brag in public. Toast to someone special during a small dinner gathering or a speech at a big party.
- Be present and focus. When you’re with someone, eliminate distractions like your phone, avoid fiddling with your hair or hands.
- Keep your word. Be dependable, don’t make plans and cancel them often, and don’t commit to something at the very last minute.
- Prioritize equality. Regardless of gender, race or socioeconomic status, recognize each and every one as equal.
- Mind your body language. When speaking with someone face to face, make sure to maintain eye contact. Point your torso toward the listener to show them respect. Lastly, smile.
- Don’t talk so much. Prompt others with thoughtful, open-ended questions to ensure they are included in the conversation.
- Try reflective listening. Once someone has said something, offer the idea back to confirm you truly understand what they are trying to communicate.
- Make the other person feel like an expert. Explore someone for their knowledge. Letting someone speak at length about something can make them feel knowledgeable.
“10 Ways to Show People They Matter and Why It’s Important,” Debbie Gisonni, huffpost.com, Jan. 17, 2015.
“It’s Important That You Feel You Matter To Others, “American Counseling Association, counseling.org, Aug. 15, 2017. “How to Make Someone Feel Like the Most Important Person in the World: 5 Tips,” Jessica Stillman, inc.com, Sept. 7, 2016.
“The Undeniable Power of a Simple Hug,” Suzanne Degges-White, psychologytoday.com, June 17, 2016.