Fall Into This Easy Back-to-School Routine
Can you believe it’s already time to start thinking about your kids going back to school? This month, we have tips and tricks to help you transition your family from summertime to school this fall.
The first week of school will be a breeze with these helpful ideas for organizing your family for heading back to school!
- Ease into a schedule. To simplify the transition, start the bedtime routine 10 minutes earlier each night two weeks before school begins. Likewise, start the morning routine 10 minutes earlier each morning. This will help your family get back on track.
- Go tech-free in the homework zone. Establish a household rule that technology stays off during homework time.
- Talk to your child about their day. Give your child opportunities to recall and reflect. Be prepared to share details of your day as well. This is a great way to connect.
- Add the school calendar to your calendar. This way, you can prioritize and stay ahead of schedule.
- Pack healthy school lunches together. Allow your child to play a role in making their lunch each night. It’s important to find ways to get your child involved in their nutrition.
- Promote exercise. Whether you go for a walk as a family or your child participates in after-school sports, make sure your family finds time to break a sweat and get active.
- Be sure your child’s immunizations are up-to-date for their safety, and the safety of others.
- Talk travel safety. As the school year starts, remember to teach your children about safety – especially if they walk or bike to school.
- Schedule an annual checkup. The first day of school is a great reminder each year that your child’s annual physical is an important time to assure their wellbeing.
- Lead by example. Kids learn how to take better care of themselves when parents lead by example and make wellbeing a priority. Plus, those lessons can last a lifetime, setting your child on the path to become and remain a healthy adult.
“Back-to-School Health: Tips for Parents,” Johns Hopkins Medicine, hopkinsmedicine.org, July 12, 2018.
“Back-to-School Health Checklist,” Melissa Conrad Stöppler, M.D., onhealth.com, Aug. 17, 2016.