This tropical smoothie recipe is designed to give your vision a boost. This smoothie contains carotenoids (vitamin A-like compounds that promote eye health and may prevent age-related macular degeneration) and lutein (an antioxidant that may reduce the risk of chronic eye diseases and cataracts) from the kale; vitamin C (which may reduce the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts) from the orange juice and strawberries; potassium (an important mineral for the proper functioning of the body) from the bananas; plus fiber (aids in proper digestion).
Tropical Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- 2 cups orange juice (look for varieties with no added sugars or squeeze your own)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 kale leaves, stems removed
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth, about 45 to 60 seconds.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Calories: 210, Protein: 4 g, Fiber: 4 g, Fat: 1 g, Carbohydrates: 48 g
Adapted from yoursightmatters.com.