Eating breakfast is part of a healthy diet – some say it’s the most important meal of the day. As your kids head back to school, send them off with the fuel they need to succeed. You want them to be able to concentrate on their studies, rather than their growling stomach. Children who eat a balanced breakfast generally have more energy and do better in school. Without proper nourishment, they can get restless, irritable and tired. The same holds true for adults. Everyone can benefit from eating a nutritious breakfast before tackling their day.
Too often, people claim they don’t have time to prepare breakfast. However, that’s no longer a valid excuse with these make-ahead, microwave breakfast bowls. To prepare for the week, all you have to do is add some omelet filling (about 3 tablespoons per egg used) to seven coffee cups. Store the prepped mugs in the fridge with plastic wrap for up to seven days. When it’s time for breakfast, simply crack one or two eggs directly into the cup, add salt and pepper to taste, stir, and pop them in the microwave.
Cooking times are as follows:
- One egg: Microwave on high for 45 seconds; stir and microwave for an additional 15 seconds.
- Two eggs: Microwave on high for 45 seconds; stir and microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
The filling combinations you can use to create delicious omelets are endless. Time to get cracking and give some a try this week!
- Sautéed onions and peppers, black beans, salsa, cheese
- Lean ham, diced onion, green pepper, cheddar
- Tomatoes, onion, feta
- Swiss cheese, turkey bacon
- Mushrooms, onions, cheese
- Goat cheese, spinach, tomatoes
- Asparagus, cheese
- Spinach, onion, roasted red peppers, ricotta
- Smoked mozzarella, sun-dried tomato, basil pesto
- Onion, sweet corn, peppers, Havarti
- Chili, cheese
- Smoked salmon, cream cheese, red onion, dill, capers
- Roasted root vegetables, sautéed onions, Gouda cheese
- The eggs may not look completely set when you pull them out of the microwave, but they’ll keep cooking in the mug.
- If you want a heartier breakfast, add the omelet to a whole-grain English muffin or wrap it in a whole-wheat tortilla.
- For even more flavorful omelets, roast the vegetables or caramelize the onions you plan to use as filling.
- If you don’t want to use all your coffee mugs for your prepared breakfasts, there are special microwave omelet cookers you can buy.
“Make-Ahead Egg Breakfasts in a Mug,” Nicole Papantoniou and Sarah Wharton, familycircle.com, July 2018.